Saturday, November 6, 2010

Mofo Iron Chef - Week One

I've always enjoyed the concept of the show Iron Chef. Give chefs an ingrediant that will challenge their creativity, and see what they come up with. So when I found out there was a Mofo Iron Chef, I knew I wanted to participate.




When I found out that the secret ingrediant for this week's challenge was mashed potatoes, I orginally thought of doing something with russet potatoes, but then I remembered I had sweet potatoes that had to be used, and I figured out what to do.


I give you, my mashed sweet potato and black bean cakes;

These were quite easy to make. I made mashed potatoes before I headed off to work today, so all I had to do tonight was make the actual cakes. I mixed the sweet potatoes with black beans, cilantro, jalapeno peppers, lime juice and zest, garlic, cumin, chili powder, salt, bread crumbs, and silken tofu, then sauteed them until crispy on the outside, but still soft and mushy on the inside. The sauce is silken tofu, blended with cilantro and lime juice, garnished with lime zest and jalapeno pepper slices.

3 comments: