Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Week Three

Okay, I don't know what I did with my camera. I remember taking pictures a few nights ago of squash and spinach stuff I made, but my camera has decided to hide from me since then, so I don't have any pictures from what I made last night.

I cooked bulgur for the first time ever. I had found a recipe in a magazine, (can't remember which one,) and realized I had everything for it except the bulgur itself. And since I'm really trying to take advantadge of trying new foods this month, the $4 I paid for a bag, was more then worth the cost. Not that I used the whole bag in one dish, I could probably make this at least three more times, since everything else is always in my pantry.

It was sauteed garlic with dried ginger powder, (the recipe called for fresh ginger, but I find it impossible to chop and a little bite of fresh just completely overpowers everything else, so I always just add a little dried powder instead, which with every other spice I refuse to do, especially dried onion and garlic.) But then I added the bulgur to that, with orange juice and vegetable broth, let it boil, then simmered it for about twenty minutes, and then mixed in a little bit of soy sauce and chopped almonds to finish it off.

It was really good. It had a nice Asian flavor to it that wasn't too over powering, and I steamed some broccoli to go along with it.

Tomorrow I plan to do my big weekly cooking, especially since I have company coming over Thursday night. I plan to make cookies, some kind of soup, a baked squash dish, and something with bagged stuffing I have. I also bought some delicious looking apple-raisin bread that I'm going to try and make a sweet vegan stratta out of. We'll see how that goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment