Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Colorful Food

So today I got back to cooking, not that I had really stopped on purpose, but after a few days of dining out or just eating sandwiches, I was glad to finally have some time to cook.

For lunch I made a recipe that I found on another Vegan Mofo blog, spaghetti squash with cashew-pumpkin sauce. Or at least that's what I'm calling it. I did things a little differently then the original. I roasted a whole spaghetti squash, which I then mixed with the "sauce" I made. The sauce was sauteed onion and garlic, spinach, sage, cashews, and canned pumpkin.

For dinner, I made fun finger food. I made the autumn latkes from Veganomicon, which were shredded sweet potato, beets, and carrots, mixed with onion and fennel seed. I really liked them, but they were so much work, and beets are so messy.

I love beets, but I don't eat a lot of them. I think it's because they are so messy, and I just don't like dealing with them. I still have a single beet leftover however, and I think I'm going to try to roast it and do some kind of orange glaze for it. We'll see how that goes.

I also made spinach-stuffing balls, and if I hadn't made them myself, I wouldn't have believed they were vegan. I used two packages of frozen spinach, mixed that with seasoned stuffing mix, (which I'm so glad I found a vegan variety of,) onions, garlic, some ener-g, Italian seasoning, oil, nutritional yeast, and some vegetable broth. I mixed it all up really well, and then let it sit for a little while so the stuffing could absorb some more moisture, then rollled it into balls, and baked them.

I keep on saying I'm going to make the pumpkin ziti from Veganomicon, but I never have the time or energy to do that it seems. Maybe tomorrow, but I doubt it since I have a full day of work.

No comments:

Post a Comment