Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Day Two

Today I did my major weekly grocery shopping, which was much larger then usual this week due to going vegan, and wanting speciality items like nutritional yeast. Altogether, I spent around $80, which might not sound like that much, but that's very high for me. I'm just going to go through my receipt, and post everything I bought; pumpkin soy milk, Daiya shredded cheese, (which I've heard is really good, if it's not, I think I'm giving up with vegan cheese replacements,) Earth Balance butter sticks, tofu, vegan Boca burgers, vegan chocolate chips, (which I'm so glad I was able to find, I bake quite a bit, and was worried I would have trouble finding vegan ones, or that they'd be very expensive,) molasses, nutritional yeast, flax seeds, sugar, vegan beef base, squashes, apples, beets, bean sprouts, tomatoes, and some cumin since I was running low. I also bought some adorable Halloween cookie cutters and some black cat plates that were reduced to clearance prices.

That doesn't really seem like $80 looking at that list, but I spent $10 on squash alone, on all different kinds, butternut, acorn, spaghetti, and two kinds I haven't tried before; carnival and delicata, $10 on three different kinds of sugar, and some of that other stuff was quite pricey by iteself, like the cheese.

What did I eat today? Aside from leftovers from yesterday I made another recipe from Vegan from a Vengeance, the Brooklyn pad thai, which I need to upload the picture of, but I think it turned out very well. The sauce was a little more spicy then I would like, so next time I make it, (and there will be a next time,) I'll use less hot sauce. It was also a little runny, but I blame myself for that since instead of tomato paste, (which I was out of,) I used tomato sauce. Overall, it was very good though. I also didn't have any cilantro on hand, which would have added some much needed color to the dish.

I also bought two new vegan cookbooks today; Veagnomicon, and Vegan Celebrations. I'm going through both tonight, making lists of recipes I'd like to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment